Woolmers Estate is one of the most historically significant Tasmanian colonial heritage properties. Listed on the UNESCO World Heritage list as part of the Australian Convict Sites in 2010, Woolmers Estate was established in 1817 by Thomas Archer, the first of six Archer generations to occupy the property. The nearby Brickendon, also listed as a World Heritage site, was also operated by other members of the Archer family.
The site represents an historically significant combination of colonial pastoral estate and family history, with a range of family collections acquired since first settlement. The colonial buildings present at the site include houses and cottages, blacksmith’s shop, provisions store, bakehouse and stables, representing the small village needed in the running of this large estate.