Longford

Published by admin on

With its Georgian buildings, English colonial country gardens and rural setting, Longford is situated in the foothills of the Great Western Tiers, in the Northern Midlands Municipality. In addition to the buildings and gardens of the town, the historic estates of Brickendon and Woolmers are situated in the area. Historic buildings of note that can be seen in Longford include Christ Church (1839), situated in the centre of the town, and several colonial hotels, including the Queenメs Arms Hotel (1835), Tattersalls Hotel (now the Longford Library) built around 1846, Blenheim Hotel (1846), and the former Racecourse Hotel (1840s). Also found in Longford are the Original Brownメs Store (1889), and the visually striking Heritage Corner (built in the early 1830s) which ranged in uses during its history from a hotel to a chemistメs dispensary, watchmakerメs and antique shop.

Things to Do and Places to Visit in the Longford Area

Weather Forecast


Driving Time:
From Hobart: 2 hrs 12 mins
From Launceston: 22 mins

Find Accommodation in Longford

Show Deals

Population: 4266 (2006)
Established: 1813
Elevation: 145 m
Location: 21 km SW of Launceston
Local Council: Northern Midlands | Visit Council Website

Tourist Attractions In and Around Historic Longford

|

Driving Time: From Hobart: From Launceston: Population: Established Elevation: Location: 95 km SE of Hobart 19 km S of Eaglehawk Neck LGA(s) Major Tourist Attractions:

Brickendon

Brickendon is one of Tasmania’s oldest farming properties. Since being settled in 1824 by William Archer, it has been operated and occupied by members of Archer family, now in its seventh generation. Brickendon became a Read more…

Woolmers Estate

Woolmers Estate is one of the most historically significant Tasmanian colonial heritage properties. Listed on the UNESCO World Heritage list as part of the Australian Convict Sites in 2010, Woolmers Estate was established in 1817 Read more…

The Cascades Female Factory

The Cascades Female Factory, in South Hobart, is the only convict female factory with ruins remaining today. During the convict era, female factories were a system for the management of female convicts, found only in Read more…

Ross

Established 1812. The 1836 Ross Bridge has around 80 stone carvings.

Evandale

Established 1811. Evandale is a picturesque heritage town on the banks of the South Esk River.

George Town

Situated on the Tamar River in Northern Tasmania, George Town was only the third colonial town to be settled after Sydney and Hobart. The town is named after King George III. The town features historic Read more…

St Marys

St Marys is a small East Coast town, 600 meters above sea level and surrounded by mountains, but a short drive from some spectacular nearby beaches. St Marys has a population of just over 500 Read more…